At RJS, students are expected to dress appropriately for school as they would for a business-casual environment. Any attire that may cause a significant disruption to the education process is prohibited. Apparel or appearance that draws unnecessary attention to an individual will be avoided. In matters of opinion, the judgment of the principal/designee will prevail. Refusal to adhere to the dress code will be considered insubordination.
The following minimum standards will be observed at RJS:
1. Any clothing that is overtly or purposefully revealing is prohibited. Some of these items include:
a. Clothing that is transparent
b. Extremely low-cut clothing (this is relative depending upon body-type)
c. Visible undergarments (including bra straps)
d. Clothing that allows the midriff to be visible; shirts or tops must cover the waistband of pants, shorts, or skirts
e. Shorts, skirts, and dresses (if worn with transparent leg covering such as tights or nylons, or if worn with bare legs) must be no more than 3” above the top of the kneecap. This standard also applies to ripped jeans (opaque leg coverings such as leggings or patches may be used to cover the skin underneath ripped jeans).
2. Clothing and accessories such as backpacks, notebooks, patches, tattoos, bandanas, and jewelry must not display or suggest:
a. Racial or ethnic slurs/symbolism
b. Gang affiliation
c. Vulgar, subversive, sexually suggestive, or otherwise inappropriate language or images
d. Promotion of products that student my not legally purchase or consume such as alcohol, marijuana, or any other controlled substances
e. Anything that promotes harm to one’s self or others
3. Prohibited items include:
a. Sunglasses unless medically required
b. Headgear including hats, hoods, masks, and bandanas worn as a complete head covering
c. Sleepwear or clothes resembling sleepwear
4. Footwear is required at all times
5. Head coverings are not permitted indoors
6. Religious or medical waivers may be granted
7. Sanctioned spirit days may exempt specific rules as deemed appropriate by administration
8. Cinch bags, satchels, or purses may be carried in classrooms provided they fit completely within the under-desk baskets.